Non-compliant certification schemes usually fall into two broad categories:
We are aware of various certifications or standards currently available in and outside of Canada that we have banned. We will provide further details in our annual update, but we had some success in having the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) change their definition of what is vegan.
As mentioned, we will not accept the Government of Canada redefining veganism. We are currently investigating various strategies, including but not limited to various legal actions.
One of those strategies is to test the new definition of the CFIA with a formal complaint. As it stands today, some of those fraudulent certifications certify products vegan even if the products or the ingredients have been tested on animals. This is unacceptable. We are looking for a product to use as a test case that is labelled vegan with ingredients or the product itself that has been tested on animals. If you are aware of such products, please contact us with the details.
We strongly encourage businesses, instead of using fraudulent certifications, to consider labelling their product 100% plant-based, 100% animal-free, plant-based, egg-free, dairy-free, or various other “free” labels as appropriate. We will never accept the blatant exploitation of animals under a vegan label.
As people who self-identify as vegans, please investigate the products you buy and do not buy anything labelled vegan that you do not trust. There are a lot of questionable vegan claims on the market, and until there are some regulations it is only bound to get worse before it gets better.
In that spirit, let us share with you some features of our vegan standards so you can make informed choices. Our standard is written to include 99% of people who self-identify as vegan. There are various reasons for this, one of them being that vegan certification is one of the most stringent standards in the marketplace today. There is no other option for people who self-identify as vegan who would find vegan standards too low for their individual interpretation of what is “possible and practicable.” This is why the “possible and practicable” must never be considered at the standard level, but left to the individual.
On the other hand, if someone finds our standards stricter than their individual interpretation of “possible and practicable,” they have many other alternatives in the marketplace; there is no vegan police and individuals are free to buy other non-vegan certified products that reflect their “possible and practicable.” In addition, our standards do not aim to include 100% of the “possible and practicable” for all people who self-identify as vegan because to include the last 1% would require exponentially more strict criteria. For example, some people’s “possible and practicable” would exclude vegetables grown with animal manure. We believe covering 99% makes sure the majority who self-identify as vegan are included, and we include the rest of the 1% in a separate sub-component of our certification under a different label not required for the main vegan certification.
Here are the main features of our standards, the vast majority of them that we share with the draft standards of the Vegan World Alliance (VWA), to help you investigate products you support:
The sub-component aspects of the standard is something we are rolling out today. It was always part of our standard, i.e. we never certified products vegan that were the results of slavery like practices, but those sub-components were never available separately. It was the results of various discussions in the VWA on how to encourage businesses to take part in the process, give consumers the most information possible to make an informed choice and not label everything as vegan. Please contact us for more details.
We hope this will help you investigate the products you buy and certifications you support. We have one of the most stringent vegan certifications in the world, and we assure you that if you support products that are certified from us or comply with the draft standards of the VWA, and everybody else does too, we will attain our vision in a timely manner.