New Tariffs on Food Coming July 1st 2018
Vegan Society of Canada News, June 9th 2018
We will not be discussing the why and how, but simply the when and the potential impact on vegans and those on a plant-based diet.
The new tariffs will take effect July 1st 2018. This will be seen when importing goods that are on the list and made in the USA. For most consumers the higher price will be seen in products we buy everyday in stores unless one import goods or produce when ordering from website shipping from outside Canada. Usually businesses who will be faced with 10% higher price will pass on the increase to consumers.
As far as vegans are concerned there are a few things that will go up by about 10% that might need some preparation. However, for most things if the price increase is a problem there are many alternatives available. This could be short lived or long term, if your a set on a specific brand and it is made in the USA we would suggest stocking up before the July 1st deadline.
- Coffee, roasted: Not decaffeinated
- If you have a preferred brand and it is made in the USA it will be affected.
- Other chocolate, in blocks, slabs or bars: Filled and not filled
- Pizza and quiche
- Strawberry jam
- Nut purées and nut pastes, berry purées, other fruit purées other than banana purée, other jams, jellies
- Orange juice: Not frozen
- On a side note many orange juice are not vegan certifiable because they use fish oil to fortify they juice in various vitamins like Omega-3. If this is news, it might be just the right time to switch brand.
- Soya sauce
- Tomato ketchup and other tomato sauces
- Heinz ketchup is not vegan certifiable because they cannot guarantee the sugar does not use and/or contain animal products and is made in the USA. On the other hand French’s is made in Canada and is certifiable vegan as they assured us their sugar is suitable for vegan.
- Prepared mustard
- Mayonnaise, salad dressing, mixed condiments and mixed seasonings, other sauces
- Hellmann’s® Vegan
- We are waiting to hear from Unilever to confirm whether this is made in the USA or not, but it is imported and most likely from their USA facilities.
- Soups and broths and preparations therefor
- Waters, including mineral waters and aerated waters, containing added sugar or other sweetening matter or flavoured
We will keep you updated as this story unfolds.